Saturday, May 4, 2013

Looking for a reason to vote BN? Don’t.

This is it. D-Day for the Malaysian General Election. 

Like many, this GE is my first time voting. As I sit here contemplating today, I find myself thinking that Malaysia is at a crossroads. Today we decide if we prefer BN's Transformasi or PR's Reformasi. 

Do we understand the magnitude of our decision I wonder. Do we know that this GE marks a turning point in Malaysian history? Our votes today counts regardless which side one chooses to vote for. 

It is my hope that people today will be voting not based on hate and prejudice of a particular coalition be it BN or PR. Not out of fear of riots, not due to family/friend pressure but for reasons backed up with verified, compared and analyzed facts. 

Choosing between BN and PR is not black and white. It has and always will be grey. There was never a clear “whose better than the other”. One needs to consider the whole and make an informed decision. How can one claim to have done this if one does not read the Buku Jingga & PR manifesto or the ETP & GTP roadmaps?

At this point I must confess, I have my decision. I will be voting for BN today. I am a BN supporter. Not because they are the perfect party. Not because I am afraid of change. Not because I fear riots. Not because I believe Bumiputeras will lose everything by voting PR.  Not because of any number of ridiculous reasons given by some quarters of BN supporters.

I am voting BN because of the Government Transformation Programme (GTP) and the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP) coordinated by PEMANDU together with the ministries and civil service.

The initiatives under the programmes are clear with detail targets, milestones and set timelines. Syndication was done with the public and experts of the field in creating the initiatives through PEMANDU’s lab methodology. To know more visit: http://www.pemandu.gov.my/

Some cool GTP & ETP highlights:

1)      War of the Worlds Goliath, which as recognized as the Best 3D Animated Feature Film in LA was done by a Malaysia company supported by ETP. Notice the inclusion of the character of the British Malaya Prince, Raja Iskandar.

2)      GTP introduces the Go KL free public bus service servicing the Kuala Lumpur City Centre in routes not being addressed by current bus operators (which is to the advantage of cheating taxis).

3)      Working together with Government and NGOs to end poverty of lower income groups including providing housing. Example supporting Epic Homes Project which aims to build, in three days, wooden modular houses for Orang Asli.
 
4)      Making KL into a world class city. Aside for the MRT, other initiatives include the greener KL ( planting 100,000 trees), making the Klang river which flows into the city pass Masjid Jamek into a commercial and heritage area (think Venive/Melaka), create and refurbishing iconic areas of the city (eg Medan Pasar’s upgrade works, refurbishment of Masjid Jamek).

These are just some of the many highlights in the ETP and GTP. All these initiatives have targets, milestones and set deadlines up to 2020. To know more read the Roadmaps and Annual Reports of the Programmes: http://www.pemandu.gov.my/

The GTP & ETP are miles apart from PR's Manifesto which is at best very high level and full of promises for which when seen together makes it doubtful it can be executed. For example, PR wants to:

1)      Abolish Highways Tolls
2)      Give free tertiary education
3)      Lower the price of oil
4)      Abolish taxes on cars
5)      Increase Civil Service Salaries
6)      Senior Citizen payment of RM1000 per year
7)      Award non-pensionable military veterans RM2000 a year
8)      Increase oil royalty to State governments 5% to 20%


 On top of that:

1)      Rafizi Ramli has stated PR will continue BR1M.
 
2)      Dato' Paduka Haji Husam Musa has been recorded offering four months bonus to civil servants once PR is in power.
 
 
These are some of the more spoken about offerings and still not the full list. While I applaud the some of the suggested initiatives, all of the above involves either spending more government revenue or decreasing government revenue.

Let me stressed that I am not a fanatical BN supporter. I am more than willing to vote for PR, in fact if not for the ETP & GTP, likely I would have turn into a PR supporter by now.

I need more from PR to grant them 5 years in power. Show me your detailed 3 feet plan. Show me what you will do, how you are going to do it and by when you will do it. Like the GTP & ETP put it in writing. Commit to it. Don't just say "Manifesto itu bukan janji."
 
I chose to vote BN because it has provided me with a plan for Malaysia which has committed targets, milestones and set timelines. Something I feel PR sorely lacks and in turn does not give me the confidence to vote them into power.
 
I believe in the GTP & ETP. I believe in Dato' Sri Idris Jala. I believe in the civil service that is driving these programmes. I believe BN is transforming. I believe PR is not yet ready to take the helm of Putrajaya.

My vote will not be given freely only on a possibility of change when the GTP & ETP exists.

Looking for a reason to vote BN?
 
Don’t.
 
You have it now.

Reformasi Lain Kali Lah. Transformasi, Ini Kali Lah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment